Milk Thistle is a plant whose various parts, especially the seeds are used for making effective medicines for various liver problems such as jaundice, cirrhosis of the liver, hepatitis, liver conditions caused by alcohol and chemicals and gallbladder problems.
It is also believed by many that milk thistle extracts result in a number of health benefits in people with type 2 diabetes. Let us discuss some of the ways it can help people with type 2 diabetes:
- It is often believed that milk thistle can help in improving insulin resistance, which is a significant symptom of type 2 diabetes.
- When combines with other traditional treatment methods, milk thistle can help in bringing down the levels of blood sugar.
- It is also considered effective in lowering the levels of LDL, the bad cholesterol in the blood, thereby improving the condition of the heart.
Whether milk thistle can result in the same health benefits even in non-diabetic people need to be known through further medical studies.
Silymarin, which is the most significant and active component in the product extracts is known to serve as an excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. The health advantages of milk thistle are primarily due to the presence of silymarin on it. Let us discuss the various ways you can benefit from it:
Protection of Cells: It can successfully bind to the outside of the liver cells, thereby efficiently obstructing the entry of several toxins into the liver. In addition, silymarin has the power to neutralize the effects of the toxins that are already present in the liver. The neutralizing effects of silymarin also help the liver cells in fighting the harmful effects of dangerous chemicals like alcohol, acetaminophen, carbon tetrachloride and certain other prescribed medicines.
Cell Regeneration: Various factors like excessive consumption of alcohol, chronic hepatitis and some prescription drugs like antidepressants and medicines used for lowering the levels of cholesterol in the blood can considerably damage the liver cells. Silymarin has some amazing healing powers to help damaged liver cells get rejuvenated and renewed.
Treatment of Fibrosis: Factors like chronic viral hepatitis and alcohol abuse can cause inflammation in the liver cells leading to fibrosis. Silymarin helps the liver cells not only by blocking toxins from entering into the liver, but also by preventing liver damages from getting worse.
Boosts the Growth of Antioxidants: Silymarin helps in the production of powerful antioxidants in the body such as glutathione and superoxide dismutase.
You can take that in the form of supplements or in tea or in combination with other herbs. According to various medical studies, it can be taken on a regular basis for up to a period of 41 months without the chances of any major side effects. However, in some rare cases, there might be a few side effects that you should be aware of:
- Sometimes it can cause diarrhea.
- In extremely rare cases, it can cause nausea, gas, bloating and upset stomach.
- It should advisably be avoided by women who are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- The effects of the product resembles greatly with that of estrogen. Hence it should be best avoided by women, especially those with fibroid tumors or endometriosis.
The best way to know the health benefits of the product and how it can help you is to consult a health care practitioner.
By Donald Finch